Monday, July 20, 2026

Book Nook - Katie Koala's Biggest Fight

Katie Koala can’t wait for camp, until a tiny scratch turns into something much bigger. When Katie starts feeling sick, Mama Koala rushes her to the doctor. There, Katie learns she has sepsis, a sneaky illness that spreads fast but can be stopped with quick action and care. 

Written by sepsis survivor Audrey Leishman, Katie Koala's Biggest Fight: A Little Koala's Fight Against a Big Illness [Begin Again Books; July 2026] uses an engaging, age-appropriate story to help children and families recognize the signs of sepsis, trust their instincts, and seek medical care quickly. All proceeds from the book will help fund sepsis education and support survivors through the Begin Again Foundation, co-founded by the author and her husband, professional golfer Marc Leishman.

Sepsis is one of the leading causes of death in children, claiming more young lives each year than pediatric cancer. Early detection is critical: for every hour treatment is delayed, the risk of death increases significantly (by up to 8 percent).

Inspired by her own experience surviving sepsis in 2015, Leishman understands the importance of self-advocacy in medical settings. Through Katie’s story, she hopes to give families the language and confidence to speak up when something feels wrong.

“My greatest hope for this book is that it saves lives by teaching children and parents to recognize the signs of sepsis and trust their instincts,” Leishman said. "As a sepsis survivor, I know how quickly it can strike and how important early intervention can be. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s OK to keep asking questions. Sometimes simply asking, ‘Could this be sepsis?’ can make all the difference.”

I saw a copy of this book, and it does an excellent job of making the severity of sepsis clear, and giving kids ways to talk about things not being right with their bodies, in a kid-appropriate way.

I had a chance to learn more in this interview.

Why did you decide to write this book?

I had never heard the word sepsis until it almost killed me. I was 31. Healthy. A mom to two little boys who needed me. And then, before I knew it, I was in the ICU in a medically induced coma. The doctors told my family that I had less than a 5% chance of survival. 

Sepsis is the body’s extreme response to infection. It can turn deadly within hours, and its symptoms are easy to dismiss. I dismissed them. More than 1.7 million American develop sepsis every year, and most people don’t know what it is until they are in the middle of it. I wrote this book because more children die from sepsis than pediatric cancer and we need to change that statistic. 

Why is it important for kids to have books that mention medical issues?

As parents we try our hardest to always protect our children, but sometimes we can’t. It is important to give children the words to explain what is happening inside their bodies. They may know something feels wrong, but "wrong" can mean a hundred different things when you're six years old and scared. 

That's what I wanted this book to give them: language. A way to say, "my heart is racing" or "I feel really weird" and know that those words matter, that someone will listen.

But it's not just about kids. It's about the parents reading this book. I want this book to empower parents to advocate for their children. Asking your child’s doctor, “Could this be sepsis?” could save their life. 

How do you balance conveying the urgency of a medical issue with keeping a book kid-friendly? 

Sepsis is frightening, but children do not need to be scared of it. Kids do not need a clinical explanation to understand that something serious is happening. They need a character they can root for. Katie the Koala explains how she’s feeling in an age-appropriate way. Children get to see her both brave, scared, and willing to keep fighting. I wanted young readers to finish the book feeling empowered, not frightened.

What should families know about early warning signs of sepsis and how can they keep their kids safe?

Sepsis can develop from any infection. Every hour treatment is delayed; your mortality rate increases by up to 8%. Early detection saves lives. 

As parents, we are our children’s best advocates. No one will fight for your child the way you will. Recognizing the symptoms of sepsis early can save your child’s life:

  • A high fever or abnormally low temperature

  • Rapid or labored breathing

  • Skin that looks pale, mottled, or has a bluish tinge

  • Lethargy, or being very difficult to wake

  • A rash of small purple or red spots that do not fade when pressed

  • Decreased urination

  • A racing heart

Know the signs. Trust your instincts. Ask the question, “Could this be sepsis?’

It could save their life, or yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment